The designated operator of the Dominican Republic, Instituto Postal Dominicano (INPOSDOM), wishes to inform other Union member countries and their designated operators that the government of the Dominican Republic has taken the following measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, as of 19 March 2020:
- Closure of the country's borders by land, sea and air;
- The entry of ferry planes will be allowed only for the departure of foreign citizens wishing to return to their countries and the arrival of planes and cargo and fuel ships providing supplies to the population;
- Commercial activities are suspended (with the exception of those associated with basic activities of the population);
- Throughout the public administration, employees over 60 years of age and with any special health condition, such as diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular or respiratory diseases, must remain at home for the duration of the crisis;
- Other employees will be alternated at 50 percent per week;
- Activities in schools and universities are suspended.
INPOSDOM is therefore declaring a force majeure situation for letter-post and parcel-post items.
INPOSDOM wishes to thank all Union member countries and their designated operators for their understanding. It will keep them updated via EmIS.